Media, Sports and Entertainment
What do these trends have in common? Market consolidation among historical media competitors; content creators serving the consumer directly through dedicated OTT platforms (D2C); new players investing billions of dollars in content creation and the skyrocking prices of media sports rights.
The answer: Content is still king, but distribution is a high-ranking prince.
Media, Sports, and Entertainment are growing increasingly interconnected, and traditional boundaries are breaking down. Increasingly, telco operators are also being added to the mix: As their core business of providing connectivity is being commoditized, they are entering the fight for premium and original content as a way to differentiate.
These developments are accelerating an unprecedented inflation in the price of premium content. Specifically, the European football leagues have seen the price of broadcast licenses skyrocket thanks to telco operators, among others, bidding for the most valuable premium content:
Delta Partners’ MS&E practice helps clients in this space understand how they can:
- Enhance the monetization of their audiences and fans
- Design an overall strategy, with actionable recommendations based on first-hand experience
- Support in executing the plan and in formalizing required partnerships
Examples of Delta Partners’ MS&E practice interventions:
- Media Companies: Defining a successful offer based on attractive content and advanced user experience:
- Assess existing assets and capabilities
- Define “North Star” and long-term aspirations
- Design strategy to close the gap with North Star by identifying activities across three pillars: content, technology and talent
- Define the execution plan and support its implementation
- Sports Organizations: Defining a successful strategy to increase the monetization of a fan base through D2C solutions:
- Assess distribution performance of existing media rights
- Prioritize markets and segments
- Define a compelling OTT value proposition and related capabilities requirements
- Design the implementation plan and identify partners (e.g. technology and telco/media operators)
© 2021 Delta Partners.